Martin Lewis explains what Flybe passengers need to do after the airline’s fall

Last night Flybe – Europe's biggest regional airline – collapsed into administration leaving thousands of passengers stranded and potentially millions more with tickets but no planes to fly them.

The good news for anyone worried about what it means for their trip, is that consumer expert Martin Lewis has explained what worried passengers need to to.

"The first thing I'd be looking to do is a chargeback, that's the thing to do whether you've paid by debit card or credit card," he told viewers of Good Morning Britain.

"That is where you ask your card provider to go to Flybe's bank and ask for the money back – effectively disputing the transaction because you have not received what you paid for.

"In most cases that has tended to work in the past and that would be my preferred situation here."

But that wasn't the only option.

***Have you been affected by the Flybe collapse? Let us know on [email protected] ***

  • Flybe passenger advice – what happens now as airline goes bust and cancels flights

"If you have a credit card and you paid over £100 you also have what's called the Section 75 legal rights, which is where the credit card company is jointly liable with the retailer if things have gone wrong," Martin added.

Section 75 applies to purchases worth between £100 and £30,000 – and comes into effect if you booked any part of it on a credit card – even just the deposit.

To making a claim this way simply contact your card provider and say that you want to make a claim under section 75 – they will then send you a form to complete and return to them.

You also need to have paid Flybe directly, not through payment processor such as Paypal.

  • Flybe passengers and crew offered free train travel as airline collapses

There are two other main ways to get your money back.

First, through your travel insurance – although not all polices will cover a company going bust.

The key phrases you need to look out for in your policy are "Supplier Failure" if you've booked a whole holiday or "Scheduled Airline Failure" if you've only booked flights.

If you're covered then put in a claim.

You might also be covered under the Atol scheme – although this won't apply to everyone and takes longer.

Jan Carton from Citizens Advice said: “Flybe customers who bought tickets directly from the company won’t be protected by the Atol scheme.

"However, if you went through a travel agent or other third party you may be covered."

If your flight or holiday is ATOL protected, you should have received an ATOL Certificate as soon as you made any payment towards the booking, either by e-mail or post.

Customers who have not yet left home will be given a refund or replacement holiday.

Which? has a handy guide on how to find out if  your holiday is Atol protected, here .

Source: Read Full Article