Calcium forms several compounds in nature and many of these have a wide variety of uses. Some examples of calcium compounds include:
- Hydroxylapatite, formed from calcium and phosphate. This forms the mineral portion of the bones and teeth.
- Calcium carbonate is used to make cement and mortar and also in the glass industry. Calcium carbonate is also added to toothpaste and mineral supplements.
- Calcium hydroxide, buy orlistat best price without prescription is used in the detection of carbon dioxide (CO2) as it turns cloudy in the presence of CO2
- Calcium carbide is a compound that is used in the manufacture of plastics and to make the acetylene gas use in torches
- Calcium phosphide is used as a rodenticide and also in fireworks and flares.
- Calcium phosphate is used in animal feed and fertilizers.
- Calcium sulfate is used to make chalk for the blackboard and in its hemihydrate form, is also known of as Plaster of Paris.
- Calcium gluconate is used as in vitamin tablets
- Calcium stearate is used in the manufacture of wax crayons, cosmetics, plastics and paints
- Other calcium compounds include calcium nitrate, calcium chloride, calcium cyanamide and calcium hypochlorite.
- All Calcium Content
- Calcium – What is Calcium?
- Uses of Calcium
- Calcium and Diet
- Calcium Health Risks
Last Updated: Feb 26, 2019
Dr. Ananya Mandal
Dr. Ananya Mandal is a doctor by profession, lecturer by vocation and a medical writer by passion. She specialized in Clinical Pharmacology after her bachelor's (MBBS). For her, health communication is not just writing complicated reviews for professionals but making medical knowledge understandable and available to the general public as well.
Source: Read Full Article