Brit missing during Dubai CBD jail sentence after alleged ‘forced confession’

Join the Secret Elves to get first access to our exclusive reviews of the must-have products this year.

A former footballer detained in Dubai for alleged possession of CBD oil has gone missing – just a few weeks after he vowed to “expose” the corruption of the local police.

Billy Hood, 24, was sentence to 25 years in prison after four small bottles of the oil were found in his car earlier this year.

He launched an appeal last month, with friends claiming he had been “tortured and tasered” while in prison.

And now his family has been left fearing for his safety after mum Brenda said she “hasn't even been able to get in touch with his lawyer” since being sent to prison.

According to The Sun, she told Detained in Dubai's Radha Stirling: “I can't imagine what he's going through now.

“He's been moved from pillar to post and was just finally relieved to be with other British citizens in Dubai when they suddenly moved him to Abu Dhabi.

“He's going through the most stressful time in his entire life and can't even communicate with his family, his lawyer or the British Embassy.”

Ms Stirling, chief executive of the charity, claimed that the evidence against Mr Hood had been “manufactured”.

She said: “Billy Hood does not deserve a 25-year sentence for something he did not do," she said.

“He has already lost a year of his life under traumatic circumstances which will likely haunt him for the rest of his life, even if he is exonerated or pardoned.

“I’ve seen the effect unfair detention and persecution has on people who are unlucky enough to see it first hand.

“I just hope Billy is home before Christmas to begin the healing process.”

It has also been claimed that the man was “forced” to sign an Arabic confessions before being sentenced for possession, selling and trafficking drugs.

The incident took place on January 31.

In a statement from his lawyer at the time, he said: “I had just moved to a new home in Dubai and a friend of mine came around to see my new place.

“I ordered a food delivery then went to my car to get a second phone charger for him to use when I was suddenly approached by police.

“They jumped out to arrest me, handcuffed me. One officer jumped out and pointed a taser at me, threatening to use it if I didn't cooperate.

Stay in the loop with all the latest Daily Star news by signing up to one of our free newsletters here.

“They demanded I show them where the drugs are. I was shocked, scared and confused.

“I told them I wasn't aware or in possession of any drugs or substances. They wanted to search my car then my apartment and found nothing.

“The next evening, I was taken to Al Barsha police station and kept in an isolation cell for 14 days without any hygiene products. I had no contact with the outside world.”

A petition calling on the Government to have Mr Hood released has been signed by more than 115,000 people.

  • Drugs
  • Christmas
  • Family
  • Dubai

Source: Read Full Article