Heroic boy, eight, saves family and pet rabbit from fire which destroyed home

An eight-year-old boy has been hailed as a hero after saving his mum, sister and pet rabbit from a burning home.

Brave Jenson Brown alerted his mum Amy to the blaze after going downstairs to watch television at around 6am on October 13.

He raced back upstairs to tell his mum the screen had exploded, which turned out to be the tumble dryer setting on fire.

The family were forced to flee the house in Swindon, Wiltshire, as the flames quickly spread, eventually gutting the house.

A fundraiser has since been launched to help out Amy and partner Richard Bird, which has already topped £1,000.

Amy, 33, said: "It's an ongoing joke in our family that Jenson gets up at 5am.

"If he had stayed in bed that day things could have been very different. We're not going to get him to stay in bed again!

"As I came downstairs I could see smoke starting to come under the kitchen door. He alerted me to the fact there was something wrong."

Amy took the children outside and went back into the kitchen, where the smoke was so thick that she couldn't see the precious family rabbit, three-year-old Naala.

  • OnlyFans star, 25, charged with drug trafficking claims police bust is a 'witch hunt'

The fire service was called and managed to rescue the pet, who appeared none the worse for her ordeal.

Amy added: "Everything we had is just completely destroyed. The insurance company has told us there's nothing that can be fixed. We've lost everything.

"(The fundraiser) is not something you expect. I was shocked by the fact she'd done it in the first place.

  • Asteroid-proof vault set up to ensure future humans have milk and cookies

"It warms my heart to know there are people out there willing to help when help is needed."

Dave Adamson, of Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, praised Jenson for raising the alarm and preventing the situation from being even worse.

He added that it was important people remembered to close internal doors in order to prevent the spread of the flames.

He said: "A good night time routine is to close all your doors downstairs. What that will do is limit any fire damage to the room of origin.

"You can cause more smoke damage through the rest of the property if you don't have doors closed."

Source: Read Full Article