The 2020 Juno Awards have been cancelled as the novel coronavirus continues to spread across Canada.
The biggest night for Canadian music was scheduled to hit the SaskTel Centre stage in Saksatoon, Sask. on March 15.
“Through our collaborative discussions and with input and guidance and the full support of our trusted partners, including the Province of Saskatchewan, the City of Saskatoon, Tourism Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Health Authority and Saskatchewan Ministry of Health, it is with an incredibly heavy heart that we collectively confirm the cancellation of the 49th Annual Juno Awards and Juno Week activities in Saskatoon due to concerns surrounding COVID-19,” said a spokesperson in a statement on Thursday.
“We salute and appreciate all the 2020 nominees. CARAS will continue to explore options to coordinate an alternative way to honour this year’s JUNO Award winners and Special Award Recipients and support the creators and participants that so greatly benefit from the work done by CARAS and the JUNOS.”
Along with first-time host Alessia Cara, a number of beloved Canadian musicians were slated to perform, including nominees Daniel Caeser, Lennon Stella, The Glorious Sons and Tory Lanez.
The cancellation comes in the wake of Canada’s first death from the disease in B.C., and other event cancellations in the country and around the globe.
There have been no cases of COVID-19 reported in Saskatchewan. However, inmates at the Saskatoon Correctional Centre being quarantined Wednesday after an offender said he had previously come into contact with someone with the disease.
Source: Read Full Article