Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter
The investigation into Madeleine McCann's disappearance is to be closed down by Scotland Yard, according to reports.
Funding for Operation Grange is expected to end later this year after 11 years, raising fears the toddler's family may never find closure.
The decision suggests there is insufficient evidence to bring a case against the prime suspect, known as Christian B – despite German police being convinced the convicted paedophile and rapist was involved.
“There are currently no plans to take the inquiry any further," a source told The Sun.
“The end of the road for Operation Grange is now in sight. The team’s work is expected to be completed by autumn.”
The Met’s Operation Grange probe — which has run for 11 years — is due to wind down later this year.
The source said that the case file could be re-opened if any significant new information comes to light.
The Grange investigation was launched in May 2011 — four years after Madeleine vanished while on holiday with her parents in Portugal.
Current funding of the probe runs out on March 31. A final request by the Met for another grant, taking it to the end of September, was recently submitted to the Home Office.
It takes the total cost of the investigation to approximately £13million.
Outgoing Met commissioner Dame Cressida Dick said last year that the Grange probe would continue until there was nothing left for them to do.
Madeleine vanished aged three from her family’s holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal on May 3, 2007.
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
German cops at one stage said they had “concrete evidence” that Madeleine was dead and Christian B was involved.
Christian B, 45, was identified as a suspect in 2020. He is already serving a seven-year jail sentence in Germany for raping a woman aged 72 in Portugal.
The investigation into him is being led by German and Portuguese authorities, with the Met taking a background role.
The 15th anniversary of Madeleine’s disappearance falls this spring.
The case is still being treated by the Met as a missing person inquiry, despite German cops saying that Madeleine is presumed dead after being murdered.
She vanished while sleeping with her twin brother and sister in a bedroom as her parents dined with friends at a tapas bar nearby.
Madeleine would now be almost 19 and former Met detective chief inspector Mick Neville said last night it remains a possibility that she is still alive.
- Madeleine Mccann
- Missing Person
Source: Read Full Article