Man killed by missile explosion that nearly started World War Three laid to rest
The man who could so easily have become the first casualty of World War Three was laid to rest in Przewodow, Poland, today.
Bogusław Wos was one of two men killed when a stray missile came crashing in the small village less than four miles from the Ukrainian border – prompting fears of the beginning of World War Three.
While most international experts agree that the fateful missile had been a defensive weapon launched by Ukraine against the massive onslaught of Russian cruise missiles last week, it’s also accepted that those defensive missiles would not have been in the air if Putin had not ordered the massive bombardment.
READ MORE: 'Russian-made missile fired at Poland' killing two and bringing world step closer to WW3
Today, sombre relatives walked behind a coffin carrying white roses, and a black and white photo of Mr Wos, a warehouse manager who was aged 62 at the time of his death.
While the funeral was a largely private affair, there were marks of respect from both Polish and Ukrainian Governments.
Ukraine's consul general in the nearby city of Lublin placed a wreath in the colours of Ukraine, according to local news agency PAP, while Polish officials and a Polish Army honour guard were also in attendance.
The other victim, a 60-year-old tractor driver, is expected to be buried on Sunday.
Poland begins installing miles of razor-sharp barbed wire fences along Russian border
At the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the US ambassador to the UN, squarely blamed Russia for both of the men’s deaths.
“While we don’t yet know all the facts, we do know one thing,” she said, “this tragedy would never have happened but for Russia’s needless invasion of Ukraine and its recent missile assaults against Ukraine’s civilian infrastructure.”
She added: “Ukraine has every right to defend itself against this barrage.”
Missile that hit Poland was 'fired by Ukrainian forces' not Russians
Russia’s UN Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia rejected the accusation, claiming that Ukraine and Poland were trying “to provoke a direct clash between Russia and NATO”.
“We have long ago stopped being surprised by your attempts in any circumstances, in spite of facts or common sense, to blame Russia for everything,” he said.
UN Undersecretary-General for political affairs Rosemary DiCarlo told Security Council members that “there is no end in sight to the war” – warning that “as long as it continues, the risks of potentially catastrophic spillover remain all too real”.
Source: Read Full Article