Man ‘lucky to be alive’ after trying to use viable stun gun to have a shave

A man claims that he had no idea a "shaver" he bought from a stranger was in fact an extremely dangerous stun gun.

Officers from Greater Manchester Police said Mohammed Khan was "lucky to be alive" after he bought the weapon around the back of a takeaway.

Mohammed Khan appeared at Bolton Crown Court on Tuesday after pleading guilty to possession of the weapon, reports the MEN.

Greater Manchester Police’s Tactical Aid Unit discovered the stun gun when they visited Mr Khan's home on May 1, 2020.

Forensic investigators confirmed the nature of the device after police found a "taser and charger" in a bedroom drawer.

In court Khan's defence, Stuart Neale, said the 26-year-old believed the stun gun to be nothing more than a ‘piece of plastic’.

Khan says he was ‘approached by a stranger’ at the ‘back of a takeaway’, who ‘sold him a box with an electric shaver and charger’.

When Khan returned to his home in Roland Road in Deane, Bolton, he claims he ‘plugged in’ the device and ‘tried to shave’ with it, heard the court.

“Mr Khan says the device did not charge up, so he put the device in a drawer and forgot all about it,” said prosecutor Eleanor Gleeson.

“He says that he did not realise the prongs were part of a stun gun as he had never seen one before and that if he had known the device was a stun gun he would have acted differently.”

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

Stun guns similar to Khan’s device contain a voltage range of one to 25 kilovolts, according to police enquiries, thought it is not known exactly how many volts Khan’s specific gun could administer.

Police investigators reported that the young man is ‘lucky to be alive, because forensics proved the device did charge correctly to be a viable device’, the court was told.

Khan had also recently suffered a stroke and is receiving ‘round the clock care’, added Mr Neale.

‘Primarily housebound’ as a result, Khan’s poor health was stated as a reason he would not be able to carry out any unpaid work as punishment for the offence.

“It is thought that the stress of this put his blood pressure through the roof and brought the stroke on,” said the defence barrister.

“He has got no money and is being supported by his family.”

Presiding over the case, Judge Martin Walsh agreed that Khan is ‘unfit to undertake any unpaid work and is of no financial means at the moment'.

The judge sentenced Khan to a conditional discharge of two years from today’s date (July 6).

Source: Read Full Article