Over 80 Brits receive payout after maggot TUI holiday causes food poisoning

Sign up to the Chill newsletter for UK holiday inspiration

More than 80 British holidaymakers received compensation payouts after suing TUI for food poisoning during a "nightmare" hotel stay at a luxury Spanish resort.

The guests, which consisted of 83 outraged tourists, claimed their holiday was ruined after they dropped ill from poor hygiene standards at the four-star Holiday Village resort in Lanzarote.

The families have received pay outs totalling to £232,000 after complaining about undercooked food, "maggots in milk" and "faecal incidents" at the pool in the resort.

The travel agency continue to deny liability that the guests even had food poisoning. However judge Master John Dagnall heard during a hearing earlier this month that a number of cases had settled without TUI admitting liability.

But TUI could have to pay out even more as there are six more serious claims that are outstanding at this time. A judge is set to make a decision during a trial next year.

Have you had a holiday from hell? Contact us at [email protected]

According to case papers filed at London's High Court, the 89 travellers booked their trips through the travel agency, with holidays dating back to time periods between May and August 2009.

The Holiday Village, known as the Rio Playa Blanca hotel, features three swimming pools, a water park and three restaurants, which features the "most delicious local products."

However, during their getaways, the holidaymakers were taken ill with "acute gastrointestinal infection" which lead to nausea, diarrhoea and abdominal cramps and pain, reports Daily Mail.

Barrister Charles Crow highlighted in documents that because the holidays were all-inclusive, many of the holidaymakers had only consumed food and drink at the resort.

Guests also complained that food was left uncovered which resulted in flies sitting on the food.

  • Tourists stranded on hell holiday after worker goes wild and punches bus driver

"Fresh food was added to older food, food appeared to be recycled/re-presented at later meals," he added.

"A cloth used to clear up vomit was then used to clean the rest of the floor. Water was served via a dispenser rather than in sealed bottles, and there was an unpleasant smell by the juice dispensing machine.

"Pools were insufficiently cleaned – the water was often dirty/cloudy, there was litter around the pool and faecal accidents were not dealt with adequately and/or quickly.

"There was an unpleasant smell of sewage from the irrigation water used in the grounds."

It has been reported that the 83 settlements are expected to go before the High Court for official approval next week, reports The Independent.

In its defence, its barrister Samuel McNeil said holidaymakers should provide evidence that they fell ill by a bacterial infection at the hotel.

A Tui spokesperson said: “We are sorry to hear of these experiences at the Holiday Village Lanzarote. As this is now a legal matter, it would be inappropriate to comment further.

“We’d like to reassure customers that we regularly audit all of our hotels in respect to health and safety, including hygiene.”

TUI have been contacted for comment.

  • Holidays
  • TUI

Source: Read Full Article