Papatoetoe police shooting: Man dies in hospital

A man has died overnight after a police shooting in Papatoetoe.

Counties Manukau District Commander Superintendent Jill Rogers today confirmed the man died in hospital overnight after an incident in the South Auckland suburb.

The man had been taken to Middlemore Hospital for surgery but did not survive his wounds.

Rogers said formal identification still needed to take place and police would not be in a position to release the man’s name until this has been completed and all next-of-kin had been informed.

A critical incident investigation into the shooting was now underway and the IPCA had been notified.

Rogers said police were called to an address at 5.47pm in Avis Ave after a shot was fired through the window of a neighbouring house.

A member of the public dialled 111 and said they could see a man with a firearm.

Police, including Armed Offenders Squad members and the Eagle helicopter, responded and cordons were put in place.

Police staff continued to make attempts to negotiate with the man in order to resolve the matter safely.

At 8.24pm, the man came out of the house armed with a shotgun.

Rogers said police repeatedly asked him to drop the firearm, however he failed to do so.

At that point he was shot by police, she said.

St John staff immediately administered advanced First Aid before the man was transported to Middlemore Hospital for surgery but he did not survive the gunshot injuries.

Rogers said the man’s family and police staff were being well supported following last night’s incident.

“Serious incidents such as this are really upsetting for all involved.

“As we’ve said before, this really is a worst-case scenario for our staff who unfortunately were put into a position last night where they have had to use lethal force to ensure not only their safety but the safety of the wider community.

“We now also have a family who have lost a loved one and so we will do what we can to ensure they are well supported along with Victim Support,”said Rogers.

A Papatoetoe resident told the Herald he heard police yelling at a gunman to put his weapon down moments before two shots rang out and he dropped to the ground.

Source: Read Full Article