Prince Harry blames social media for US Capitol riot chaos as he breaks silence

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

Prince Harry has broken his silence on the US Capitol riots and blames social media for the chaos that hit America earlier this month.

While speaking with Fast Company, a monthly business magazine, the Duke of Sussex spoke of "the current consequences of the digital space".

In the Q&A style interview, he gave in-depth answers about social media, Big Tech giants and harassment he and his wife Meghan Markle received.

He also attributed the chaos of the US Capitol riots on January 6 and the destruction of the Amazon rainforest to social media sites.

He said: "There was a literal attack on democracy in the United States, organised on social media, which is an issue of violent extremism.

"It is widely acknowledged that social media played a role in the genocide in Myanmar and was used as a vehicle to incite violence against the Rohingya people, which is a human rights issue. 

"And in Brazil, social media provided a conduit for misinformation which ultimately brought destruction to the Amazon, which is an environmental and global health issue."

Prince Harry said 'from an early age' he was guided by the principle of the 'duty and to truth', as well as pursuing 'compassion and the alleviation of suffering'.

  • Kate Middleton offers rare glimpse of adorable photo of Prince Louis in video call

He did not name any social media sites he has issues with, but calls for people to spend less time online.

He went on to suggest setting limits to stop people from endlessly scrolling and to fact-check the source and research the information seen.

The 36-year-old then said to take a "more compassionate approach and tone when you post or comment."

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle spent much of last year consulting with experts and learning from advocates, academics and policymakers about the solution, he said.

  • Prince Harry complains about 'harassment' of Meghan as he hints at social media return

The couple have not had social media for 'ten months' since they officially left the Royal Family when they stepped down from senior roles.

The Sussex Royal Instagram account was also aborted at that time.

Since moving to the US last year, the pair set up their charity, Archewell, which has an Instagram account, which hasn't had an update since mid-December.

During the interview, the prince also spoke of the 'harassment' of his wife Meghan when they got married.

He said they'd revisit social media 'when it feels right for them' and how his story, Meghan's and their story together has been told in different ways.

Would you cut your time on social media, and do you think people spend too much online? Join the debate below

  • Meghan Markle
  • Prince Harry

Source: Read Full Article