Prince Philip’s final request for funeral ‘scuppered’ by ‘tragic’ uniforms row

Prince Philip’s final funeral plans have been "scuppered" by the royal row over military uniforms, an expert has argued.

Earlier this week, a Sun report claimed that no members of the Royal Family will be able to wear military uniforms during the ceremony.

The order, said to be directly from the Queen, is reportedly designed to spare Prince Harry embarrassment – as he is no longer a working royal.

Harry was stripped of his military titles after stepping back from the firm.

There was also said to be "serious Navy displeasure" after Prince Andrew reportedly asked to wear an admiral’s uniform.

A source close to Andrew told the Daily Mail that the reports were "speculation".

Royal commentator Daniela Elser believes the drama will undermine Philip’s send-off, set to be held at St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle on Saturday, April 16.

She wrote on news.com.au: "As the husband of the sovereign, he was entitled to a full State Funeral at Westminster Abbey with all the pomp and circumstance that entailed.

"It wasn’t for him and instead he opted for a pared-back service to be held at St George’s Chapel at Windsor and what amounted to a military send-off."

The duke reportedly wanted a "no fuss" affair and opposed his body lying in state, meaning it was kept out of the public eye.

Just 30 guests, a mixture of senior royals and a handful of foreign dignitaries, will be permitted to the funeral.

Minute Guns will be fired by The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery, and a range of military representatives will attend.

Daniela added: "My point here is that the military trimmings for Philip’s send-off aren’t just a bit of gilded frippery but represent his unswerving dedication to his adopted homeland and life of service in the face of his own thwarted ambition.

"Which is why the fact that Princes Charles, Andrew, Edward and William along with Princess Anne and her husband Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence won’t be allowed to pay their respects suitably attired is just bloody tragic."

She believes the change to the dress code "won’t miraculously does the controversy or embarrassment".

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

The ceremony is set to begin at 3pm after a national minute’s silence and is expected to last around 50 minutes.

At 2.41pm, the coffin will be carried out of Windsor Castle’s state entrance.

Three minutes later, the Queen will have a "moment of reflection" to look at her husband’s coffin from her car before it is taken into the chapel.

After the service, Philip will be interred in St George’s Chapel’s Royal Vault.

Source: Read Full Article