A court case surrounding a letter Meghan Markle wrote to her dad has thrown up major claims.
Earlier this year Meghan won her case against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) after Lord Justice Warby ruled that her letter to Thomas Markle Snr was private.
An earlier High Court ruling had found that the Mail on Sunday (owned by ANL) had breached privacy and copyright laws by printing parts of Meghan's letter to her estranged father in its newspaper.
But the publisher has since appealed the ruling which made for a dramatic Wednesday in court, producing the six new bombshell claims below.
Meghan drafted the letter 'knowing it could be leaked'
The Court of Appeal hearing was told that Meghan told a former aide the handwritten letter to her estranged father was "drafted with the understanding that it could be leaked".
Jason Knauf, who was communications secretary to Meghan and Harry until March 2019, said the duchess had indicated to him in August of the previous year that she recognised it was possible that her father would make the letter public.
Mr Knauf said Meghan had "deliberately ended each page part way through a sentence so that no page could be falsely presented as the end of the letter".
"In the event that it was leaked she wanted the full narrative as set out in the letter to be understood and shared," he continued.
He added that she said: "And if he leaks it then that's on his conscious (sic) but at least the world will know the truth. Words I could never voice publicly'."
Meghan 'called her father "daddy" in letter to pull on heartstrings if leaked'
It was also claimed that Meghan called her father "daddy" in the letter to pull on people's heartstrings if it was leaked, the Mirror reports.
Mr Knauf said in his written evidence: "She also asked a specific question regarding addressing Mr Markle as 'daddy' in the letter, saying 'given I've only ever called him daddy it may make sense to open as such (despite him being less than paternal), and in the unfortunate event that it leaked it would pull at the heartstrings'."
Claims Meghan wrote letter after 'seeing how much pain this is causing H'
In his statement, Mr Knauf also said Meghan had "lost confidence that the privacy of her communication with her father would be respected by him" as a result of his "increasing co-operation with reporters and photographers".
He said that, in a series of text messages sent to him by Meghan, she had written that the "catalyst" for writing the letter to Mr Markle, 77, was "seeing how much pain this is causing H".
Mr Knauf also said the duchess told him she was writing the letter "in part to allow the duke to demonstrate to his family that some action was being taken by the couple to stop Mr Markle from continuing to engage with the media".
He added: "On the specific issue of the letter, the duchess indicated in messages to me that she recognised that it was possible that Mr Markle would make the letter public.
"She wanted to write a letter rather than an email or text message – other options she had considered and discussed with senior Royal Household staff – as a letter could not be forwarded or cut and pasted to only share one small portion."
Claims Meghan and Harry did help authors of Finding Freedom
Google Maps users reckon 'weird Amazon shacks' are 'Colombian drug camp'
The Court of Appeal also heard on Wednesday that Meghan and Harry "authorised specific cooperation in writing in December 2018" to the authors of Finding Freedom .
Mr Knauf says "the book was discussed directly with the Duchess multiple times in person and over email" and that Meghan gave him "helpful" written "background reminders" briefing notes.
In new written evidence, Meghan said: "I apologise to the Court for the fact that I had not remembered these exchanges at the time.
"I had absolutely no wish or intention to mislead the Defendant or the Court."
Harry and Meghan's 'private texts'
For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here
Mr Knauf also told the court that private messages from the pair suggested he let the authors of a bombshell biography know "what they had been through”.
Mr Knauf said he met with both authors of the book Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand in December 2018.
In his statement, Knauf said: “I also told him [Harry] that I would meet the authors that week to help with 'factual accuracy and context’.
“The Duke replied the same day saying: '…I totally agree that we have to be able to say we didn’t have anything to do with it. Equally, you giving the right context and background to them would help get some truths out there."
Meghan was ‘eager to please’ Royal Family
In her own statement Meghan said she was "eager to please" the Royal Family and was "especially sensitive" to their concerns about her father's "public attacks" on them.
She said in a statement: "It is correct that, as I said in my texts to Mr Knauf, the situation was putting significant pressure on my husband, both externally and by his family, and I felt strongly that I needed to do something about it.
"I felt that, even if my attempt to stop my father talking to the media failed, at least my husband would be able to say to his family that I had done everything I could to stop it."
Source: Read Full Article