The man accused of killing one teen and injuring another in a drive-by shooting in Longmont over the weekend was charged with 13 counts, including murder, on Wednesday.
Yahir Solis, 19, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder, six counts of attempted first-degree murder, two counts of first-degree assault, illegal discharge of a firearm, resisting arrest and criminal mischief.
Boulder District Judge Thomas Mulvahill read the charges to Solis at a hearing Wednesday morning after advising Solis of his rights.
Solis appeared in custody, and will remain in custody without bond because he is charged with first-degree murder.
A hearing will take place Nov. 28 to determine whether there is enough evidence to continue to hold Solis without bond and for the case to continue to trial.
Defense attorney Ben Collett said Solis was willing to waive his right to a preliminary hearing within 35 days.
If convicted of first-degree murder, Solis will receive a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.
According to an arrest affidavit released Monday, three teen boys were walking through Kensington Park around 1:49 p.m. Saturday when they noticed a silver sedan traveling eastbound on Longs Peak Avenue.
Two of the teens told police that when the car turned south on Kensington Street, they saw the driver lean out the window with a gun and begin shooting. The boys tried to run, but one of them was hit in the chest and another was struck in the leg.
The 13-year-old who was shot in the chest was declared dead after being transported to Longs Peak Hospital. The 15-year-old who was hit in the leg survived, while the third person was not injured.
The identity of the teen who died has not yet been released by the Boulder County Coroner’s Office, but family and friends have identified him as Isahis “Zay” Rosales.
Initial police reports identified the two victims as being from Longmont; however, Rosales’ obituary says he was from Lafayette.
Police recovered 10 empty shell casings, and one bullet was also found in the door of a nearby townhome, according to the affidavit.
Witnesses said the driver was the only person in the vehicle.
About six minutes after the shooting, police located a vehicle that matched the description of the vehicle in the shooting near Second Avenue and Pratt Street.
The driver of the car was identified as Solis, and he was taken into custody on outstanding warrants.
Witnesses could not positively identify Solis as the shooter, but they did positively identify his sedan as the vehicle in the shooting. Police also found bullets and a handgun inside the car.
According to the affidavit, one of the teens who survived the shooting said that members of two gangs — “PBG” and “ESL” — got into a fight at the Boulder County Fairgrounds on Aug. 12, and that members of PBG had been sending threats on social media.
One of the Instagram accounts that sent the threats was tied to Solis, according to the affidavit.
The connection of the teens to the gangs was redacted in the affidavit.
Source: Read Full Article