Toddler left fighting for life after horse kicks her in the face on family walk

A little girl was left fighting for her life after a horse kicked her in the face after her dad turned his back for a split second while they were out on a countryside walk.

Madison Roome, who was just two years old when the horrific incident took place, had been out for a walk with her dad, Alistair, 46, big brother Finnley, four, and a few of their friends.

Shockingly, nobody saw the split-second accident take place – but medics said from the injuries sustained they could tell little Madi received the full force of the horse's hoof to her tiny face.

She was kicked by a horse being led down a bridleway at the end of the family's own road in Claygate, Surrey.

Devoted dad Alistair said: "I was seeing to Finn, he'd scraped his knee and it was bleeding, the next thing I heard was our friend shouting. 'Madi's been kicked'.

"I felt utter panic and that feeling of not knowing what to do.

"I heard those words I saw her face, the blood pouring from her eyes, her mouth and huge cut on her head lying there unconscious; it was just awful."

Madi's mum, Jennifer, 36, explained: "We are so grateful that our friends were there that day. I was working from home that day when I got the phone call every parent dreads.

For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

"I remember frantically running through the house grabbing everything I might need. Within five minutes I was by Madi's side."

Jennifer, who works in HR, described the moment she saw her little girl, bleeding and unconscious.

She said: "I was shocked when I first saw Madi's facial injuries and the blood, but I knew that I had to remain calm for our baby girl.

"I cradled her in my arms, while we waited for help to arrive, she was wearing an Anna dress from the movie Frozen. That image will never leave me.

  • Twin toddlers found dead in family’s car were 'left for nine and a half hours'

"She gained consciousness quickly, but the teams were concerned because she had such extensive injuries."

Hero paramedics from the Air Ambulance Kent, Surrey and Sussex crew arrived within moments and bundled little Madi off to St George's hospital in Tooting, south London.

Madi underwent emergency surgery on the day of her accident to stitch up a deep cut above her right eye and fix her pallet, which had split along the midline and separated from her skull.

Doctors stitched and secured an Invisalign brace in her mouth to help keep her bite and lining of her teeth in place.

  • Terrifying moment 'tarantula' is filmed crawling around plane mid-flight

Madi then underwent a second surgery eight days after being air-lifted to hospital, pinching together the tendons between her eyes and nose.

She then went on to have a third surgery just five weeks ago to remove bolsters and wires, and also to remove the Invisalign brace.

Docs also performed further surgery on her right eye after the freak accident last May.

Her dad said: "Madi still has a long road ahead and is likely to have many surgeries until her face is fully grown. But she's still a really happy, resilient four-year-old and we're so proud of her.

  • Mum glassed friend in the face 'for a laugh' during row over drinking game

"It's now been over a year since that horrific day, and I'm so pleased to say Madi is recovering really well.

"Her eye remains our main concern and Madi has had to get glasses recently.

"I don't think Madi will remember much about the accident in the long-term, although she did very innocently ask if the Air Ambulance helicopter would be taking her home too!"

The family are now fundraising for the incredible Air Ambulance crews, and want to raise awareness of Air Ambulance week, commencing on Monday, September 6.

Source: Read Full Article